Saturday, January 3, 2009

The God Endeavor

I completely believe that life gets better and better as you walk with Jesus. However, that doesn't mean it is always easy or predictable. My boss used to explain bad circumstances that seem uncontrollable by calling life "the human endeavor." Basically, he meant that because we're dealing with people, we can't control everything and things won't ever go exactly how we plan. On a small scale, I agree. No one is perfect, so mistakes happen. I think the problem comes in that most people don't isolate the concept of life as "the human endeavor" to small issues. Instead, it becomes a frame for how people see life on a big scale.

We look at life as "the human endeavor" with each person at liberty to do what he or she chooses because we are individuals and can decide how to live our own lives. As the wise man Bon Jovi said, "It's my life." Right? Wrong. God never intended for us to go it alone making choices by ourselves. He wants to be intimately involved in our lives. He never wanted for us to live even for a second outside of relationship with Him. Life is only "the human endeavor" on a large scale because we have made it that way. I'm not saying living "the God endeavor" is always easy, but it's always good. I've never regretted a decision that I've made as I live in the presence of God. More and more I want to live "the God endeavor."

No comments:

Post a Comment