Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The little things matter

So, I have realized that even more than big gestures or expensive gifts, the little things matter. One of the things I love most about people is the little things--those traits or preferences that make them unique and special. My David is perfectly capable of making his own breakfast (eggs, oatmeal, anything), but he really loves it when I make it. I despise stopping to pump gas, so when I get in and my tank is full, I am a very thankful wife.

I think it comes pretty naturally to me to notice the little things about people and remember them for a time when they come in handy like birthdays or random times of celebration. I have realized that I really like to bless people in ways that are meaningful to them. I almost get mad at myself if I give a generic gift (think those stock gifts that every woman has a drawer full of for times of "gift emergency" like an unexpected birthday or a party for someone you do not know well). The little things are important to people because it shows you care and you know them. Those are really two of the intangible things that people want most: to be cared for and to be truly known.

Recently, I arrived home from a work trip to find this:



Some of our friends had been talking about this amazing coffee. David remembered the name of the coffee and ordered it for me to surprise me. Considering the name of my blog, this was a wonderful "you know me" kind of present that makes me smile every morning when I wake up. (It is delicious in case you are a coffee drinker!)

I want to challenge you to remember the little things because they matter.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! Love is in the little things:) And that God cares about the littler things is so refreshing! Hope you're well:) Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete