Monday, January 25, 2010

Rachel Ray = genius

In my effort to improve my repertoire of recipes, I have been watching Rachel Ray's 30 Minute meals whenever I can. Now, most days, I veto her recipe due to the ingredients being 1)things I don't like--I am picky 2)too expensive 3) too fattening--I eat enough sweets that I don't need my dinner to help me pack on the pounds.

However in a stroke of pure genius, Rachel introduced the following meal:

Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Sausage Balls with Tomato-Basil Sauce, Cacio e Pepe Potatoes and Roast Broccolini
Serves 4

•2 pounds baby Yukon Gold potatoes
•1 tub bocconcini (bite-size fresh mozzarella in water)
•2 pounds Italian hot or sweet fresh chicken or turkey sausage
•Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling, 4-5 tablespoons total
•Salt and freshly ground black pepper
•1 1/2 pounds broccolini
•1 head garlic
•1 can San Marzano tomatoes (28 ounces)
•1/2 cup milk
•1 tub grated Pecorino Romano
•1 tub good quality, freshly prepared pesto

Preparation
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.

Quarter the baby potatoes and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then salt the water and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.

While the potatoes come up to a boil, place a nonstick baking sheet alongside a mixing bowl. Remove 12 pieces of bocconcini from the water and set them on your work surface. Remove the sausages from their casings, if bulk sausage is not available, and place in a bowl. Combine the meat into a single mound, then score it into four sections. Each section will yield three large sausage meatballs. To form each ball, take a handful of meat and wrap it around a piece of mozzarella. Roll 12 balls. Wash your hands after handling the raw sausage.

Coat the balls with a drizzle of EVOO. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until cooked through and evenly browned.

While the balls are cooking, trim the ends of clean broccolini and scatter evenly over a baking sheet. Grate or chop 2-3 cloves of garlic and drizzle the broccolini and garlic with olive oil, then season with the salt and pepper and roast for 12-15 minutes to crisp the broccolini tops.

While the broccolini is roasting, add the tomatoes to a small pot or skillet, mash with a potato masher and season with salt and pepper. Heat over medium heat, then simmer to reduce, about 8-10 minutes.

When the potatoes are tender, drain and return them to the hot pot to dry them out a little. Mash the potatoes with 1/2 cup stock or milk, 1/2-2/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, a few generous handfuls, lots of black pepper and a little salt.

Turn the heat off the tomatoes and stir in 1/2 cup of the prepared pesto.

Serve three stuffed sausage balls with tomato-basil sauce on top or underneath and the cacio e pepe smashed potatoes and broccolini alongside.


Here are my modifications: I will use baby potatoes with red skins and mash them with grated Parmesan cheese. I will use a dry pesto mix with just a little EVOO since the store made pesto is expensive and contains a lot of EVOO. I will use broccoli instead of broccolini.

Taste results and pics tomorrow....

2 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty yummy. Your blog entry reminds me of the movie, Julie and Julia. Great movie if you haven't seen it yet. Be sure to write an update on this recipe. If it turns out as yummy as it sounds, I might have to steal it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good...but I have to confess, if I don't know what an ingredient is, I don't usually make the recipe. I used to like Rachel Ray's recipes but she always uses ingredients that I don't buy on a normal basis so I don't really do her stuff. Oh and I just participated in blog friend's recipe exchange...I now have over 150+ recipes from this one and a lot more from one she did last year..let me know if you want me to share them with you. I really love cooking/baking anything in the kitchen. Homemade pesto is really yummy too and it lasts forever in the fridge and another hint: whenever I use pesto I use about 1/2 to 2/3 of what they say to use and it still tastes awesome and lasts much longer!!

    ReplyDelete