Thursday, August 27, 2009

Just wanted you to know

I found out a few nights ago that a very dear Christian woman went home to the Lord. It was quite a shock because we haven't even seen each other in probably 10 years. However, I am eternally grateful to her.

When I was a freshman in high school, my friend Liz invited me to attend a Christian youth conference called Acquire the Fire. Her mom, Laurie, took us to the conference. Even though I had been to church sporadically as a child, I had never heard about the need for a relationship with Jesus. I gave my life to Christ at that conference. I spent quite a bit of time with Liz and her family during that year or so of my life. I had never seen what a Christian family looked like, and they provided such an amazing example. Even now when I think about how I want my own family to look one day, I imagine them. Her death has really made me reflect on how beautiful the promises of God are. He is faithful and true. His word stands forever. I am excited to see her in heaven one day. She will be greatly missed here and now though.

I wrote to her shortly before she passed away to let her know what an impact she had on me. Kind of a "Just wanted you to know..." moment. It made me think, "Why didn't I do this before?" I guess I'm learning to express my heart to those who are important to me. Laurie's death was unexpectedly hard for me. It also made me reflect on the legacy that I want to leave behind. Hers is so marked by impact for Jesus. How amazing!

So, that was a lot. I would love to hear your reactions and thoughts on any or all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment