Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Identity

So, David and I have been talking a lot about identity lately. Since moving to CA, I feel like we have both really been struggling with trying to figure out our identities. This is mostly because in the past we linked our identities more with what we did than who we are. Now that we don't do the things we used to do, especially in the church, we are feeling a little aimless and more than a little insignificant.

I blogged about finding my sweet spot a while ago. This is connected to that issue. I am trying to understand that even if I am doing small tasks right now for the kingdom that don't look (in my eyes) like they are meaningful and that don't feel like my sweet spot, that I as a person am still significant. I am trying to understand that my worth to the church is not based just on what I can give but also who I am. AND, I am trying to understand that if God has entrusted me with a role, no matter how small, it is what He has for me and that is enough. Where satan really wants to go with the negative thoughts here is that if I am not doing much than it would mean that I am no one. That is a lie, and I recognize it when I say it outright like this.

This all seems easier to write than to believe though. How do I disconnect who I am (my identity) from what I do (my contributions/tasks)?

1 comment:

  1. Lara, this is something I've been trying to find since I've had kids. My role in the church has diminished so much - by my choice. I'm not sad about that...I just find it hard some days to be satisfied with me and knowing that I am doing what God has called me to do for this time in my life (BE a PARENT!) The devil is such a liar!! It's not about the "works" that we do but the relationship we have with Him and being obedient to His voice. It's knowing that His love is for us no matter what we "do". He just simply loves us!! Love you guys and miss you both!

    ReplyDelete