Friday, March 27, 2009

I'm a Jew

Okay, this is definitely not meant to offend any Jewish friends who may be reading.... I was talking last night with David about a particular part/practice of Christianity that I have always believed to be true and Biblical.....which he helped me to see was not so Biblical (in the New Testament at least). After talking, I realized that what I believed was part of the Old Covenant. It was Law and not grace. For some reason, I struggled and really clung to the "Law" that I thought to be true. David inadvertently compared me to the Jews of Jesus' day. They practiced what they knew to be the true way to worship and honor God. When Jesus came with grace, it was offensive. It was hard to change. Their hearts didn't rejoice because Jesus was fulfilling the Law. They mourned because they had to change. Granted, it was a change that was amazing and wonderful. They didn't see it like that. Last night, I did not see getting rid of my "Law" mindset as freeing. It was scary. I realized that in order to live by grace, you have to trust God infinitely more than if you live by the Law. You have to hear His voice much more personally. You have to be willing to give up control over what makes you righteous.

People have always asked me if I'm Jewish...I guess I have stereotypically Jewish features. Last night, I was a Jew. God speaks to me in such funny ways. If I wasn't so upset, I would have laughed.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this topic! I think many try to cling to the law (how I wish I had an easy formula...or what seemed spelled out in black and white for me) and you are right ...to live by grace, in grace, giving grace is scary - because you must trust God more infinately - and know Jesus!!! So...are we Jewish in that we are adopted into Christ's family??? Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete