Saturday, March 7, 2009

The shine

(Let me preface this blog: I am not talking about my marriage...just thinking philosophically. David and I are in love and life is good.)

What do you do when the shine of something that was so wonderful and grand when it was new begins to wear off? What do you do when you begin to see imperfections in something that used to appear perfect? What do you do when something you were so sure about seems uncertain? Disappointment seems to creep in, but how do you prevent it? I know that some of my spiritual readers will tell me that I should only put my hope in God and not the things of this world. I understand that. Can you honestly say that you don't ever hope for/in a person, plan, or idea? I doubt it.

I have high expectations for myself. I often transfer those high hopes and expectations to outside things, people, etc. And, I am often let down.

God is my constant joy and strength. I just wish sometimes that situations were different, people were different, life was different.

1 comment:

  1. These are great questions...ones I often think of myself. Disappointments are going to happen because life happens. Trying to prevent it only makes it worse and trying to ignore it and saying that you shouldn't have disappointments only makes it worse too. It seems to me that Jesus faced disappointment too but instead of dwelling on it He chose to move on. Gosh sometimes I feel like I know about disappointments all too well. Totally agree with the last line of your blog. Great thoughts Lara... it's fun to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete