Saturday, February 28, 2009

This one is for Sara....


I need to expand the variety of recipes I cook. I think God was trying to tell me this on my 25th birthday. I received 2 cookbooks from different people plus a subscription to Cooking Light. (Although I'm taking all of the recipes as a sign, I'm ignoring the insinuation behind the "Light" portion of that magazine title.)


For some reason, I have trouble with using recipes, but I'm not sure of any other way to learn. Either I don't like something that is in the recipe, I don't have all of the ingredients, or I don't want to invest the amount of time it takes to prepare the food. I am realizing now just how much time my mom must have put into feeding our family. She prepared almost every meal for us...breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Typically, I just have cereal/bananas for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and something simple for dinner. I also seem to cook like 2 big meals each week that we eat for dinner over several evenings.


With a full time (demanding) job and Remnant stuff, I'm already struggling to keep up with all of the household work. How do other women with full time jobs, outside interests, and kids make this all happen and learn to cook new meals? Any tips, advice, or quick/tasty recipes?

2 comments:

  1. Hey I've been thinking about this post. You know I love to cook. =) If I don't like something in a recipe, I don't add it. If I don't have it, I substitute something else. My mom never made fancy stuff but she would make one thing and add something different the next time she made it b/c we didn't have the same ingredients every time. (If that makes sense). One magazine that I really like is Simple and Delicious from Taste of Home. I think Amanda gets this or she used to. Anyway, what I really like about this is that the recipes are simple and they have minimal ingredients and they have a weeks worth of meals planned out. Whenever I plan meals, I plan for a week and usually end up making only 3 or 4 big meals and for the rest of the time we eat leftovers. The key is utilizing the leftovers. You can get a free magazine to try it out just go to the website: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Simple---Delicious-Magazine
    One thing I do is frequent recipes websites and look at lots and lots of recipes. I absolutely love looking at cookbooks (with pictures) and looking at different recipes. I often have two cookbooks open at once with the same recipe and then I use a combination of both. Enjoy! I'll send some recipes your way when I think of it. =) I'm also going to be periodically posting recipes on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Elaine!!! I will take your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete