Thursday, July 29, 2010

What I've Been Reading...

I love to read. (I also love to watch movies, but I love to read more.) Specifically, I love to read fiction. I have loved it since I was little. Reading for English classes was never a chore throughout school and even into college. There is just something really beautiful about the creativity and eloquence it takes to write a good work of fiction. Since I fly a lot, I have many hours of uninterrupted reading time. It is my "me" time when I can just enjoy something that makes me happy.

When you read, you can imagine your way into times and places that are outside of your reality. I'm not talking about brain candy like John Grisham (although I do like his books). I mean the real art of storytelling that leaves you feeling like you are somehow part of the plot. Good fiction produces a reaction that changes some small part of who you are.

Recently, I have read three fantastic books: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (amazing story of a small island off the coast of England and how it survived German occupation during WWII--surprising quite funny), Sarah's Key (a woman's journey of self discovery as she uncovers her family's role in a French Jew's life during WWII), The Swan Thieves (the story of a brilliant but mentally ill painter and his psychiatrist's quest to help him heal). The two WWII novels in a row were a coincidence--very different though and both really well done.

It makes me sad when people don't like to read. So, pick up a book--preferably one of the three above--and read.

I googled Reading Rainbow for a picture to add to this post--come on somebody if you remember Reading Rainbow! Here is the very weird picture that came up. I guess he is SUPER excited about reading?


Nevertheless, props to RR. Way to encourage kids to read through a tv show. Irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment