Monday, July 19, 2010

My Vacuum Sucks & an Ode to the Swiffer WetJet

I have been having cleaning problems:

1. I avoid mopping at all costs. Sorry that this is gross, but I'm just being real. I can't get into it. There is no particular reason. In my list of stuff to do, mopping just keeps getting pushed lower because the colors on the floor do not show dirt. Out of sight, out of mind. However, seeing the bottom of my socks get dirty from the inside of my house made me feel like a failure of a house keeper. (Sorry for the full disclosure, but I promise that other areas of my house really are clean.)

2. My vacuum sucks....meaning it does not actually do what it should...which is suck. David and I both vacuumed throughout the week and the dog hair on the carpet just would not go away. It was like we were pretending to vacuum but with a real vacuum.

So, I got fed up.

1. I recently saw a friend using a Swiffer WetJet. It looked fun. So, I decided to buy one. It was actually fun in an OCD way. As you mop, you can see all of the dirt collect on the disposable pad on the bottom of the mop. (Although, the pad on the mop looks like someone got the idea from...well, you be the judge.)



After you are done, you just peel the pad off the Swiffer and throw it away. This kind of felt like cleaning the lint out of the dryer trap. :)

2. I decided we are not so poor that we cannot afford a vacuum that actually sucks...how it should. So, I bought a new one. Eureka! Literally, a Eureka. It was glorious. I vacuumed anything that was not moving--carpet, couches, stairs, tile floors. I thought about going to the source of the problem and just vacuuming the dogs directly, but they have a mortal fear of the vacuum. So, they were spared from my vacuuming zeal.



My house is clean.

The end.

1 comment:

  1. haha...but you didn't show an after picture of the swiffer pad. =) LOL I actually don't mind mopping...I'd rather mop than do many of the other cleaning jobs in the house. I love the smell when I'm done. I use PineSol so it always smells fresh (and with having kids I love not have to walk around the sticky kitchen floor.) I'm not much of a vacuumer (is that a word?). I vacuum only when company is coming...probably due to the fact that we did not have electricity growing up..therefore no vacuum...so it's not a habit that comes easily. (It could also have to do with the fact that our vacuum smells like dirty, smelly feet when we use it (works great though))..

    ReplyDelete