Thursday, July 15, 2010

Being Passionate

Okay, immediately get your minds out of the gutter.

Now, let's proceed... :)

This is a follow up about one of the topics I mentioned in my last blog. I have a huge desire to be passionate about what I am doing in life. I feel like I go through life day by day working at my job because I cannot figure out anything else I could do to make this much money and not commute into San Francisco. For my lovely readers from other states, the traffic is absolutely horrendous during rush hour, if there is an accident, if there is bad weather like fog...etc.

However being around the amazing Bobbi (http://www.bobbiandmike.com/index2.php), I decided there must be a way to absolutely LOVE what I do every day. I hate the feeling of waking up and inwardly groaning that I have to go to work. I'm not saying I don't want to work. I'm saying I want to be passionate about what I do. Watching Bobbi take pictures, it was very clear that she not only loves what she does but is also really good at it. That's what I want.

I was talking to David about this, and he told me that most people don't love their jobs. To this, I replied that I don't care what most people decide to do with their lives. If people want to schlub through life day by day, that's their choice. Not me. I want to live an extraordinary life. What I'm doing from 8am-5pm right now just isn't cutting it.

My other issue is that I'm not one of those lucky people who immediately know what they were created to do--Musician, dancer, teacher, doctor, whatever. I'm really not sure what God has for me to do. Also, I do not have a special talent. (This is probably the only reason I was not Miss America...nothing to do during the talent competition! Um yeah.) So, what does this average Jane do? No really, I'm asking. What do I do? How do I live a life where I am passionate about what I do every day?

I feel like this was a little dramatic today. So be it. I feel dramatic.

2 comments:

  1. Take baby steps! Everytime you see something and think that you may want to try it...try it. See if its something you want to do or not. I think of it like trying on clothes. Somethings look good on the rack but don't look right or don't fit you. Other things you may not think to wear at first glace, you try on and you love it! Take classes, try new things and wait to hear from God on it. Ask God what he wants you to do and know that he will give you a desire and favor to do it and mean while pray for a love for what you do now so that you won't dread everyday. Thats my humble advise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this sounds so basic, but it's so essential...pray! I think the more you cover it in prayer, the more God will begin to reveal to you what you were created to do. When we're doing what we were created to do, we can't help but enjoy it. Not to mention, God knows us better than we know ourselves.

    A very practical step to take is to take some time thinking about what things make you tick (in a good way). What are some things you love to do for fun? If you had all of the money in the world, what are some things that you would do to help others or as a recreational job? Are there any aspects of society that you enjoy reading, hearing, talking about?

    Your answers to these questions are indicative of what you are passionate about.

    ReplyDelete